“Welcome Home” Chapter Three-Leaving the Good Life City

25 May

In October 2010, we left the house in Leesburg forever. There were more problems on the way, though, because the move had given birth to real problems in my life. There was a hidden feeling that was left in Leesburg that I did not recognize until many years later when I decided to write this book. I finally realized that I did not like the town as well as I had enjoyed the sense of childhood security that came with it. You see, when we moved, I was at the interesting age of twelve. At this time, I was just beginning to grow up and put my foot on life’s “surface”. However, that “surface” was the place I called home and when it was yanked out from under me, I had nowhere to stand for a long time. I was beginning to get to an age of understanding; perhaps in these few months I saw the world for what it was for the first time. Life had been fairly easy and sheltered in Leesburg, partly because it had been a small town, but mostly because I had been so young. Once I left the house, I had problems sleeping. It was not uncommon for me to still be awake at two o’clock in the morning, after having been lying in the bed for hours. Sometimes I just cried, too tired to think and sometimes more homesick than I would like to admit. A little bit of this still carries over to me today; now that I think about it, I have not slept very well since I left Leesburg. It has been a mystery to me and my family up until now. However, as I sit here writing this book, I am forced to conclude that this lack of sleep must be a side effect of the lost sense of security that I described earlier. It is a scar from a tough fall that perhaps will never heal.
In that late fall of 2010, my home was shaken, but my view of it had not changed. I vowed never to call any town home again.
After I left that dear brick house in Leesburg, we did not leave the city straightaway. We had nowhere to go. My parents had not found a house yet, so we lived in Gran and Granddaddy’s house. I had my own room there, though it was small and hard to keep clean with so many people’s stuff in the closet and six people trying to share that cozy home. My parents slept in the camper, but some of their things ended up in the house and created quite a clutter for us, especially for poor Gran. She never let us see, but I know she did not like us destroying her tidy house. However, this short difficult phase of life was important and I would go through it again if I could. The fall days seemed to whisper change in the air; it seemed to bid me goodbye and usher me into a fresh future. I did not get this analogy right away. We got to spend a lot of time with Gran and Granddaddy during our prolonged stay. Halloween passed at their house, so did my twelfth birthday. It‘s funny how so much time flew and I do not remember too many particular days. Perhaps what I remember most about these two months is the fact that I got to talk to Kristian almost every other day. We became closer than we ever were. I also still talked to Sarah on the phone. There was one thing I was semi-excited about concerning moving. I knew with this move I would be geographically closer to Sarah now, closer than we had been in five years. However, I still held on to Leesburg. In my mind, nothing could replace it. In that short period of time, though, Kristian and Sarah were really the only true friends I had. Kaylyn and I were not super close as of yet and my other friends never called. Sarah and Kristian were almost the only people outside of my family that were there for me and I let them know it. Their support was unparalleled and it helped me through this tough time.
A couple of particularly fun days during this time were found in the first weekend of October. My parents went up to North Georgia to look at houses and dropped me off at Sarah’s house. While she had lived near Athens for five years now, her family had moved to a bigger house the year before, a house that I had never seen. The house was about a hundred year’s old, white, and surrounded by seven acres of woods and a meadow. It was there that I spent one of the happiest weekends of my life. Sarah and I stayed up until two o’clock in the morning whispering, taking pictures, listening to “Hold on” by tobyMac, and talking about writing endeavors. At four o’clock in the morning something woke us up simultaneously and a few seconds later we heard a terrible screech followed by a loud crash. Police cars came and we discovered that a man had hit a deer. It scared us half to death then, though we laugh about it now. The next morning was spent in the woods exploring. It was here that Sarah earned her long-cherish nickname “Bramblebutt” and I had to swallow the equally mortifying name “Countess Complainalot.” Both of these names were earned while in the woods. I complained as Sarah would tear through the woods and I would get caught in brambles, unable to go further. However, soon Sarah also got hung in briars, and had to carefully get them out of her blue jeans. Thus the name “Bramblebutt” was born. Sarah’s neighborhood friends came over and we played “fort” in the old barns on her property. We defended our barn bravely, with many laughs and one loud scream over a mouse that almost crawled up our feet. I do not think I have heard Sarah scream like that before or since. My parents came back for me later that night and as I climbed into the car, I was never so happy about sore muscles or legs bleeding from briar cuts. I was grinning ear to ear and longing to visit Sarah again sometime soon.
Sarah did help me through moving, as she has aided me in all areas of my life, but even the gentlest friendship cannot shut out all evils. Another sore I acquired in moving was damage in my supposed “relationship” with Jonathon. Back in the fifth grade, we had liked each other. Now, though he had not called me in over a year, I still liked him and loathed the thought of moving four hours away. Back when we were still in homeschool group, his family had moved to Maryland, but since then they had come back and were now living in Albany again. He had moved to another part of town earlier in the year and I did not have his new number to tell him I had left. It made me feel awful. I eventually gave up on the boyfriend Jonathon and just wanted my old friend back, but this did not come right away. Soon after this, I became like most normal preteen girls and had a crush on the young pop star Justin Bieber, for all the wrong reasons. Though this may look innocent, all of these things inspired a dreadful outlook on life that I will further delve into in the next chapter.


One Response to ““Welcome Home” Chapter Three-Leaving the Good Life City”

  1. Sarah Spradlin May 25, 2014 at 10:18 AM #

    Dawwwwws and all the feelings!! Loved this chapter even if it did have a rather somber message to it 😉 Looking forward to more! I don’t want to have to wait a week for the next chapter *grumbles*

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: